Thursday, August 22, 2013

Summer Momma!

I realized that I'm about 5 months behind on blog posts, and attempted to sit down at my computer this morning with a cup of coffee to write about how much I love lazy summer days, filled with sunshine and moments spent with my adorable children, creating lifelong memories. That was 5 hours ago and I'm still drinking the same (now reheated and lukewarm at best) cup of coffee! I have been interrupted countless times to: send those adorable children outside to play, tell them to stay out (did I mention how adorable they are when they play outside!?) remind them to stop leaning on the new screen door (which has been in for 3 wks & already has a tear in it!) then to set up the slip & slide for same adorable children, which lead me on a new mission to find their bathing suits, dig out towels & locate a swim diaper, change Stetson & rub them down in sunscreen. By then they were hungry for lunch (I still have breakfast dishes piled in the sink to prove that I fed them not long ago!) So I made them a snack while I prepared lunch, and while I am sure they've eaten enough, Harrison still claims to be hungry. I've also, by nothing short of a miracle done 3 loads of laundry and managed to pack Harrison's suitcase, for a 10 day long adventure at the lake with his Dad. Because I am not creative enough to think up a new topic, I will alter my post slightly about summer days spent in the sun....or at the computer (I'm sitting on the deck right now in the shade, still sipping on what might as well be ice coffee) when the children will allow me such luxury.
I do enjoy the long lackadaisical days that summer brings. Staying up late to catch the last rays of the sun before it dips down below the horizon. Sleeping in long past dawn, until the children wake me, and not being a slave to the snooze button. Eating breakfast half way through the morning, sipping my coffee on the deck, getting dressed at noon (if we choose!) watching the boys splash in the paddling pool, playing in the yard, walks to the park, bike rides around town, impromptu play dates, dinners on the deck that have been grilled on the BBQ and long family walks at dusk. I like the laid back pace our lives take. It is nice to have a break from making lunches, rushing Harrison out the door for school, racing to the rink for hockey practices and being tied up all weekend, on the road to nowhere for hockey, hockey and more hockey!

However, there are days like today that I crave routine! It is now well over 6 hrs since I first sat down to start this post & I'm back in the house, listening to both boys get cleaned up in the tub before Stetson's nap & I gave up on that ice coffee long ago! I am slightly stressed out by the lack of a strict schedule that the school year brings.


There is a certain amount of familiarity and calmness that comes with sending Harrison off to school every morning! I enjoy my one on one time with Stetson, and do not miss the fighting, the whining and the chaos that ensues from having both boys home all day, every day. Most of you know by now that Harrison is my challenge (for those of you that don't, welcome to my blog!) and he was sent here to teach me patience, to never give up on someone you love, grace in the face of adversity & a whole list of other life lessons I apparently missed in my many past lives! I'm sure the entire neighbourhood has heard me yell, several times in a short span of time, "Harrison...STOP arguing with me and just DO IT!" Another great reason I miss the cooler temperatures....we keep our windows closed!!!

While summer is fun and lazy, I look forward to getting back into a routine, and a sense of purpose and direction to our days. Though, I do not look forward to the cooler days ahead and winter driving. If only I could pick and choose....enjoy a more structured schedule somewhere tropical! What kind of Summer Momma (or dad) are you!? Lazy and laid back, relaxed in the sun with no schedule, or do you keep a routine and navigate the long, sunny summer days with a sense of structure!?
~ And for the record, this blog has now been well over 7 hours in the making! However, I did finally get Stetson down for a nap & cheated by turning on the TV for Harrison, just so I could finish! ~



1 comment:

  1. Love your writing, J! I really enjoy reading about your life - even with five months apart the entries. ;-) And you're a really good photographer. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise! I can also relate so much to what you describe with your children. As with Harrison, Siri is definitely here to teach me that patience I've never had... *lol*

    ReplyDelete